I had all intentions of using today’s #MotherhoodMonday post to talk about my breastfeeding journey. However, motherhood has prevented me from doing just about anything, including sleep, this past week. Here’s what’s been going on in my life as a mom lately…
For some reason, Andrew has been extra fussy this week. He’ll start fussing around 4:00 pm, peak around 8:00 pm, and won’t stop until about 9:30/10:00 pm. At first I thought it might just be his “witching hour” fussiness, but after the past couple nights when he has screamed his head off for almost an hour, I’m starting to wonder if it’s colic. Either way, it has not been fun.
On top of his fussiness, he’s also been refusing to take naps during the day and is sleeping minimally at night. Just last week, he had two nights in a row where he only woke up once in the middle of the night so I thought we were finally on the upswing with sleeping. But, after those two glorious nights, it went downhill, and he has been waking up every 1.5 to 2 hours 🙁 I’m exhausted to say the least! Thus, I have focused on doing the bare minimum – feeding myself, bathing, and trying to exercise when I can! You may have noticed that all my blog posts last week were published after 10:00 pm and now you know why…
With all that being said, I haven’t had the time that I’ve wanted to focus on my breastfeeding journey post. I want to make sure I give this post my full attention and cover all the questions I’ve received thus far. So, fingers crossed this week goes better and that I have a little extra time to devout to the blog. I guess that’s a real #MotherhoodMonday post for you though — when you’re a mom, life isn’t about you and your plans anymore. Letting go of control and perfectionism is another life lesson motherhood has taught me. I should go back and add that one to my life lessons post from last week!
Since these past few days have kind of worn me down, I thought I’d focus on what I am thankful for. Writing five things down that I’m grateful for has always helped me feel better when life’s challenges seem to be all consuming. So instead of just writing them down in my notebook, I thought I’d share my five things with you below. What five things are you grateful for today?!
Five Things I’m Grateful For
- A healthy baby who is so adorably cute that it’s impossible to hold any of this against him (see above picture for proof!)
- A long maternity leave — so thankful I have 24 weeks! I can’t imagine going back right now in my sleep deprived state, and I am already finding it difficult to imagine leaving Andrew.
- A husband who lets me get out of the house to work out, grab a coffee, and just take time for myself whenever I need it (see my Instagram post from yesterday)
- A mom who always takes my calls, offers her best advice, and encourages me when I feel like I can’t do it anymore
- Having the opportunity (most days 😉 to do things that I love like work on this blog, go to the gym, cook, and spend time with my family