For today’s Motherhood Monday post, I thought I would share some inspiration and styling tips for what to wear for your family Christmas card photos! Since picking out everyone’s outfits usually falls on mom, I thought y’all would find this helpful. For those who follow along on Instagram stories, you know we had our family Christmas card photos yesterday. For our photos, I followed these exact styling tips that I am about to share with you!
Family Christmas Card Photo Styling Tips
- Choose a color scheme
- First, choose your color scheme. Do you want to use traditional, festive holiday colors such as red, gold, and green (see above)? Or, would you rather go with a cool, winter feel with creams, greys, and blues, like below?
- Decide casual or dressy
- Do you want everyone in their Sunday best or would you rather have a more laid back feel?
- Start with mom
- This is my favorite tip! Decide what YOU are going to wear first. Mom’s are always thinking about everyone else besides themselves. Pick something that you want to wear and that you feel confident in, then build everyone’s outfits around yours.
- Coordinate, but don’t match
- Instead of being all matchy-matchy, try to subtly coordinate your looks. Again, this will come back to choosing your color scheme and whether you’re going for a dressy or casual feel.
- As you can see in the two collages of family outfit ideas, I stuck to a scheme of just a few colors that pulled all the looks together. For some of the outfits, such as the dad’s and baby boy’s in the festive and fancy collage, I had their shirt and sweater tie in all the colors.
- It also helps if you have at least one person in a solid colored outfit such as baby girl in festive and fancy above and mom in casual and cool below. I like to think of these as the base.
And there you have it! Four easy tips for styling your family for Christmas card photos. I hope this helps you find the perfect looks and create a beautiful memory with your family. Even if you are not taking professional family Christmas card photos, these tips would be great for deciding what to wear for Christmas mass!